Thursday, July 24, 2008

Word Nerd

Every book on writing I have ever read names The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White, as the Holy Grail of books on writing (they'd probably all get mad at me for having the phrase "book[s] on writing" in this sentence twice). I bought a copy a few years ago, and it's great. Full of perfect tips for clarity of expression in writing. I recommend it highly. So highly that I now have a second copy, but that is more to do with the fact that this version is GORGEOUSly illustrated (by Maira Kalman). I saw it on the shelf and had to have it. I try to live by the adage, "Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." More often though, I like for things to be both; here's one for that pile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't maira kalman the best??

ana said...

The cover on OPAC looks different.. I like this cover with the dog better. (Not because there is a dog.)

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers