Monday, July 7, 2008

Making movie magic

I spent the day helping a friend of mine on his film. In exchange for dinner and a ride home, I painted fake octopus tentacles for hours upon hours. I gave up on this kind of work ages ago, but he was desperate, so I decided to revel in the glory of film-making (ha). I was surrounded by eager young film students trying to make it, and, as usual, we spent most of the time talking about movies, comparing favourites. Here are my top twenty favourite movies. It's not very "cool" or "indie" or "film school-y" for the most part. Even though I was a film student, I am most definitely not a film snob. It is maybe a little heavy on the romantic comedies, but heck, I like romance (and comedy). These are all movies that I watch again and again, and they all leave me just a little bit more in love with the world.

20. Dazed and Confused
19. Bridget Jones' Diary
18. Heathers
17. Microcosmos
16. Boogie Nights
15. Crybaby
14. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
13. Kissing Jessica Stein
12. Batman
11. Beetle Juice
10. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
9. Braveheart
8. When Harry Met Sally
7. Monsoon Wedding
6. Amelie
5. Big
4. Labyrinth
3. Strictly Ballroom
2. It's a Wonderful Life
1. Annie Hall

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I still haven't seen 'Annie Hall'? I need to put aside my distaste for Woody Allen and just watch it.

Also, agreed on 11, 10, 7, 6, and 5.

ana said...

I know what you mean "film school-y" movies, that's funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Ummmm!?!??! Excuse me!??!?ME WITHOUT YOU!?!??! Hello!??!?!

Ange Friesen said...

Sarah? Is that you? Not Australian Sarah?

You're right. Me Without You should be on the list. But I don't know what I would move...

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers