Saturday, August 16, 2008

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Words to describe Vicky Cristina Barcelona: Winning, sultry, amusing.

I am a huge Woody Allen fan. Even when he's bad, to me he's good. Thankfully, in this instance, he's just good. I'm finding his new movies so interesting in that he's moved away from Manhattan and is instead writing cinematic love letters to European cities. Barcelona was my favourite city when I traveled to Europe, and this film showcases why, with its gorgeous architectural shots and cityscapes. The cast is also gorgeous and fabulous. I have always loved the way Scarlett Johansson looks (wow), but her acting skills can sometimes leave something to be desired. In this film I can see why Allen likes working with her so much. She comes across much more naturally than in the past, and I love to imagine him directing her - I think their dynamic must be hilarious. Penelope Cruz, though, steals the film.

I love these modern films Allen is making, the ones where he isn't front and center (or even present on screen). They seem so much more accessible - and beautiful - than his other work.

Loves it.

4/5 stars.

Now: Instead of Halifax, can I please move to Spain?

1 comment:

ana said...

I like the guy too.
I will have to watch this movie.

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers