Sunday, May 4, 2008

Leaving Home

I suppose it's time to start a countdown. I can't believe I haven't done it already, but I guess it's because a countdown makes it all real.

At least 89 days until I leave for Halifax, and at most 120.

That's potentially less than three months. Which is slightly crazy, and feels simultaneously like no time at all and like an eternity. Because part of me wants to just be there so I can start my new life. And the other part needs more time to find a cheap flight. And to do all of the amazing Vancouver things I want to do before I leave. I love this city. Anyone who knows me knows that I love this city. I love riding over the Lions Gate Bridge and seeing the sun set. I love the Asian malls. I love movie hopping at the Tinseltown theatre. I love cream-cheese bagels from Granville Island. I love the amazing dim-sum, and the amazing sushi. And I'm kind of sad to leave it, though more excited.

Actually, given that I'll probably be coming back for summers, I'll get to have the best parts of Vancouver - the summers. The four (or less) months that are mostly sunny and gorgeous. Which is exactly what I have left here, and I'm going to make the most of it. So I've been making lists of things to do.

At the top: The Free Spirit Spheres


I read about them in the Georgia Straight last year, or the year before. Photos are care of Sarah, who was lucky enough to go with Wayne. It looks so beautiful. You sleep in the little wooden sphere. I just want to go for one night. Sleep while it sways with the trees. Ensconce myself in the landscape I'll be leaving.

Plus it's right near Coombs - home of the market with the goats on the roof! And the amazingly delicious bee sting pastries.

I sound like an advertisement. They're actually that good. Someone at work recommended them and I was like, sure whatever, okay. It's mouthfulls of delicious custardy cream in a really light pastry, with I think Caramel on top... Holy cow I was blissful.

No comments:

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers