Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Broken English


This is a sweet, "cool" little film by Zoe Cassavetes (yes, of the Cassavetes'). I watched it by myself this morning, which is one of my favourite ways to watch movies, and was definitely the perfect way to watch this film. It is a film about loneliness and love, about a woman who spends much of her time alone with red wine and bad TV. A woman who says, out loud, to her lover, within 24 hours of meeting, "I'm just trying to figure out if this is supposed to mean something." I've been there.

I related to the best of Nora (Parker Posey)'s worst qualities. In my notes I underlined the word neurotic only twice, but it should have been three times. Her body and the flitting of her emotions and movements are birdlike. She's pretty and brittle. She wears lots of cute dresses and jewelry, and lives in New York.

It is a love story, in the broadest sense. What makes it work are the tiny perfect details, that make even the cliched romantic disasters fit. Justin Theroux (also known as my imaginary boyfriend) plays the perfect actor paramour, the one you know you shouldn't date, because actors are self-involved liar assholes (quite often), but he's just so charming and cute. Then comes the guy who's still in love with his ex. Finally, the earnest, charming, slightly cheesy frenchman.

It is a story of love, and self-love, and while it is occasionally a little bit forced and awkward (such as the scene in which the requisite older Frenchman says to her, "First you have to find love and happiness in yourself, Nora." It's like, gee thanks, didn't get that.), it is overall enjoyable. A nice way to remind yourself to take chances and seek out pleasure, and that life is for living. And loving. (Yourself! Love yourself first!)

3/5 Stars.

3 comments:

Margo Lane said...

I will definitely rent this. It sounds right up my alley. Did you know that Justin Theroux is also my imaginary boyfriend? Have you watched that movie he directed with Mandy Moore and Billy Crudup? The title is slipping my mind at the moment... it's a recent-ish release. Good soundtrack, ok movie, nothing spectacular.

Ange Friesen said...

Yes... Dedication. Meh. I love Mandy Moore, though. And Justin Theroux. Especially in Six Feet Under. Sigh. Hot.

Anonymous said...

I think my roommate wanted me to watch this a few months back, in fact I think she might own in. Hmmm, maybe this will be a movie night for me next week.

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers