Thursday, July 17, 2008

The History Boys

I feel about eight times smarter than usual, and painfully undereducated, after watching The History Boys. It is one of those rare movies that is based on a (tony award-winning) stage play, but doesn't feel stagey or awkward in its transition to film. About a group of students trying to pass Oxford's entrance exams, it explores ideas of sexuality, boundaries, education, youth, age, and so much more. The cast is astoundingly talented, and I believed every character and everything that happened to them. I've been feeling deprived of wit lately, but the brilliance of this script pretty much drilled a hole straight into my brain and funnelled in an abundance of intelligence and irony. It was funny, and so so so enjoyable. Not at all heavy-handed, but still substantial. Brilliant!

4.5/5 stars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting movie. I might check it out sometime!

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers