Monday, December 14, 2009

Rush


December 14 Rush. When did you get your best rush of the year?

I'm thinking back and realizing that this has, for the most part, been a really relaxed year. The good thing about that is I haven't had any real lows, but I haven't had many high highs, either.

Okay, after thinking about this for a few minutes, I am going to go with: stepping off the plane, by myself, in Montreal. I've traveled alone before, and I highly recommend it, because the fear adds to the excitement and the relief of realizing that you are fine, and you are capable of navigating new terrain. I was only by myself for about an hour, between getting off the plane and arriving by shuttle at the bus station where I was met by Kat's lovely friend Lauren. I spent that hour (and the next few days) surrounded by newness, and I absolutely love that feeling (that rush) of knowing that I am seeing or doing something for the first time.

When it comes down to it, I look back at my life and so many of those rushes I can remember are associated with travel. All of my senses are engaged with the new places I go - I feel myself expanding with tastes and smells and sights and sounds and feelings. So a thought for 2010 (and the rest of 2009): seek out more of these experiences, even at home. Try new dishes at new restaurants, seek out new neighbourhoods, try new things. Try to bring that complete sensory awareness to my everyday life. Feel more rushes.

No comments:

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers