Sunday, May 4, 2008

The New is the True

New Blog. Woo!

Title comes from (but of course) an E.E. Cummings poem (see elsewhere for arguments as to whether Mr. Cummings' name should be capitalized or not, I don't really feel like getting into it. Actually, my opinion on this changes somewhat easily, a thing that will be addressed shortly in this introduction to myself and the "blog"). Because I am a nerd. An E.E. cummings loving, enthusiastically in love with the world kinda nerd. And because it is Spring.

spring!may-
everywhere's here
(with a low high low
and the bird on the bough)
how?why
-we never we know
(so kiss me)shy sweet eagerly my
most dear

(die!live)
the new is the true
and to lose is to have
-we never we know-
brave!brave
the earth and the sky
are one today)my very so gay
young love

why? how-
we never we know
(with a high low high
in the may in the spring)
live!die
(forever is now)
and dance you suddenly blossoming tree
-i'll sing

--e.e. cummings

So, I was wandering around, trying to find a title for this blog, and of course all of the things I was trying were taken (and I refuse to add my name to a title so that I can use it, boo). I wanted something that tied in to what it would be about, which is, namely, everything. I tried having a book blog, I tried to have a movie blog, I kind of like the idea of a food blog. But I am a generalist. I like lots of things, I have opinions about lots of things. I need a catchall blog (like a good purse: big, with lots of pockets, in a pretty colour). So I perused my E.E. CUMMINGS COMPLETE POEMS 1913-1962 (Capitalization care of Harcourt Brace Jovanovich). A line caught my eye, "the new is the true". It was catchy. Of course I closed the giant book and had no idea what poem it was from, but since blogger said it was an available "blog name" (I feel lame using the word blog so often, so the occasional use of quotation marks makes me feel less lame. And more lame. Anyways.), I googled it, found it, and I liked the feel of the whole poem. It encompasses the contradictions that I feel make up life. The kind of zen of living that encapsulates my outlook (to lose is to have, earth and sky are one, etc etc, I'm so deep). I was told by a psychic once that I was a Buddhist monk in another life, and I like to believe her. It makes me feel better about buying shoes and makeup and reading the occasional trashy novel.

But anyways. I love life. I love springtime. I love poetry and love and beauty and all of those things. I love movies. I love books. I love food. I love gossip (bad bad me). And then there are lots of things that I like. So this will be about those. Happy springtime to you!


Lastly: not that the old is any less true.

No comments:

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers