Saturday, April 18, 2009

Léon/The Professional

I watched The Professional for the first time about ten years ago, and I loved it. It's violent, but so stylized and gorgeously shot - watching it feels a little like watching a graphic novel. Léon (Jean Reno) is a hit man who lives alone in his New York apartment. Matilda (a stunning thirteen-year-old Natalie Portman) is a young girl whose family is gunned down in a drug dispute while she's at the grocery store. Léon takes Matilda in. Written and directed by Luc Besson (whose The Fifth Element is another of my 90s favourites), it is a sparing, brilliant film about what happens when something unexpected comes into our lives and changes our entire way of being in the world.




Watch it. Again.

Oh yeah, 10/10.

No comments:

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers