Friday, September 11, 2009

Labyrinth

I watched Labyrinth tonight, and as I watched I was struck by two things.

One: Sarah's outfit is almost exactly what I see on 18 year old girls all over campus every day. The sleeves are maybe a little extreme, but aside from that, these girls might be carbon copies.

Two: Jareth the Goblin King was probably my first encounter with sex and danger so intertwined in a character. I'm not sure how old I was the first time I saw the film, but I must have been pretty young, and I'm pretty sure it must have had a major impact on my psyche, romantic and otherwise.

See both here:


5 comments:

Michael said...

i hope some one gave some credit - somewhere - to escher.

and maybe (i hate to say it) andrew lloyd webber.

Ange Friesen said...

Michael: Basically everything in the labyrinth is referenced in Sarah's real life (movie) bedroom, including a prominent Escher poster. And also, now that I think of it, a Cats poster.

Michael said...

i like that you're able to school me on an element of my childhood that i should never have let go.

Hello Pineapples! said...

I never could watch that movie. It scared the bejeezus out of me. This is not a judgement of the movie. I couldn't watch the Neverending Story either.

Ange Friesen said...

Hello Pineapples!: Strangely, I was always scared by the Dark Crystal. I think it was the odd elfin faces.

Contact

Email me at thenewisthetrue (at) gmail .com
My photo
Toronto, Canada
I think I might be addicted to books. And noodles. I need the ocean. I want to know everything. Almost. I love love. And loving things. Like love. And like.

Followers